Wednesday, January 15, 2014

A Healthy Lifestyle

Alright, can I just come out and say the issue with blogging is that sometimes you worry so much about one of two things: 1) offending others 2) how you will be viewed by others.  Am I right?

I am going to try to set aside these things- especially number two, and get down to the nitty gritty.  I wanted to make a post that will hold me accountable for accomplishing one of my New Year's Resolutions which is to live a healthy lifestyle.  In girl language this might mean "lose weight," but I hate the negative connotation that is attached to that phrase.  To me, living a healthy lifestyle is much more than cutting weight- it's becoming strong and taking control of one's self.  So, instead of facing the dreaded scale each week, I am going to focus my time towards making meals with more natural ingredients and continuing my workout regime- with a little twist (as you will see later). I'm not going near a scale because we have had a horrible history together!  With a scale, instead of focusing on how I feel, I focus on numbers. I have found that numbers don't really motivate me- my emotional and physical health cannot be weighed by a scale.

Now, I will have to be patient- which is not my strong suit. I am not looking to lose x amount of pounds in x amount of days, I am simply looking to revamp the role food plays in my life.  And hopefully once this lifestyle is incorporated into my everyday life, I can help instill it in my future children.  I love the phrase "Don't live to eat... eat to live."  I have to remind myself of this quite often.  Although I believe this process will take longer than past attempts, I feel that it will be more gratifying if I focus on how I feel rather than the numbers.  So, to start off on my goal I have done two things.

1. The app: myfitnesspal.  Anyone wanna be my friend?! I've just started and I don't have any.... haha! For those of you who do not know what it is- it's basically a way to track what you eat.  I used to do a journal because I found that it made me more accountable knowing what I ate, but it was SO much more work.  With this app, it has most of the foods already in the system, so all you have to do is click right on it!  Boom.  No reason to say you "don't know what you're eating."

2. New workouts!  I'm more excited about this one, I have to say.  Although Josh and I go to the gym daily, I was in the habit of doing the same few workouts ALL year.  That's horrible!  I should have changed it up every few months because if workouts remain the same, the body gets too used to what it is doing.  So, to break my streak of simply having an upper body, lower body, and ab day, I will be doing several different workouts- thanks to Fitmiss!  I've been following them on instagram (@Iamfitmiss) because they post daily workouts.  What I've done is accumulated some of these workouts and I've put them into a little journal I can put into my gym bag.

So... why am I telling you this?  I need buddies with the same goal as me to tell me their strategies to succeed this year!  Also, I like spreading knowledge, so for those of you who feel that these could help- my job is done (:

For those of you who would like to know more specifics on how I'm organizing my little notebook of workouts- let me know! I can post them if you would like.

No comments :