Monday, March 17, 2014

Getting Fat

WOW.  These past few weeks have been a whirlwind! I've been having a slightly difficult time staying afloat with student teaching- teaching 5 classes a day was a little more time-consuming that I had ever imagined! But don't you worry, I'm still alive.

So many hilarious things happen throughout the day that make teaching worth all the little stresses that come along with the job.  But I thought I would just share one little tid-bit from Thursday.  In two of the math classes, we have just begun Pre-Algebra.  We've recently gone over functions, input, output, independent and dependent variables, etc.

Today, I had the students come up with a real-world example of when we use an input and output table. 

Anyways, there's a girl in my class that really struggles with math.  She couldn't think of a way to apply this input/output table and needed my help.  After a few probing questions, she chose to talk about Pokemon.  I said, "Alright, so let's say each level you move up in Pokemon, you earn three dollars."  She quickly responded, "That's impossible.  Each time my Pokemon wins a battle they go up tons of levels at a single time." 

...Well, excuse me.  I realized I could not help her on the difficult subject of Pokemon.  Then my mind wandered to when I saw her in the halls before school- I saw her eating candy.  At 8:25 a.m.  

I said, "Okay, we have a man named Fred.  For every chocolate bar he eats, he gains two pounds.  How many pounds will he gain if he eats six bars?"

Then I realized how depressing of a situation this would really be.  What if I ate a candy bar and immediately gained two pounds?  For those of us who feel like we can shed a few pounds, let's just remember that at least we don't gain weight as easily as Fred does.  

Once I realized this, I felt pretty dang good about myself.  



No comments :